Sunday, March 30, 2008

ALIVE DAY – March 31

This past August, I was asked to travel to San Antonio to attend the Soldiers’ Angels Convention. After checking into the hotel, the group of “angels” headed over to BAMC where Soldiers’ Angels was hosting a BBQ for the wounded warriors and their families.

I met so many wonderful heroes that day. A warrior from Fort Riley who I’d been speaking to on a fairly regular basis and who was at BAMC for surgery, found me in the crowd of “angels”. That touched me deeply.

There is one wounded warrior (I’ll call him AB) and his family from Texas that I will never forget meeting! (And look forward to meeting up with again at the FOA2008 Bicycle Ride). He’d been injured early on in the war, March 31, 2003, and the family had “just found” Soldier’s Angels in June 2007. AB’s mom and I had spoken a few times in the month prior to this event and when I heard I was going to San Antonio, we invited the family to the BBQ.

To tell you that AB and his family were an inspiration to me is a total understatement. He and his family took the hearts of each and every “angel” who attended this event! Speaking for most of us that met this family; we were humbled by the faith, strength, determination and love this family has and share with the world. We were able to surprise AB with a presentation of a laptop from the VALOUR IT program—much to his immense delight. Soldiers’ Angels also was putting its name on 2 rooms at the Fisher Houses at BAMC that day. We asked if he would do us the honor of choosing one. He was proud to do so.

AB was seriously injured March 31, 2003. He was a medic with the 82nd Airborne and was seriously injured going to the aid of an injured soldier.

Hero? In my eyes--YES!

March 31, 2008 is AB’s “Alive Day”. Happy “Alive Day” AB!

How DO you say thank you…………………….

1 comment:

DIsneymama said...

Wounded warrior = HERO! I am so proud to be a member of this team!!